Alcanada Lighthouse

Alcanada Lighthouse

Historic 1861 lighthouse on the islet of Alcanada. Automated since 1960, now powered by solar energy and emitting evenly spaced white flashes.

Alcanada Lighthouse was inaugurated on 15 May 1861 as a 6th-order lighthouse with a catadioptric optic and a fixed white light powered by olive oil. In 1883, a new lamp was installed, powered first by paraffin and later replaced by petroleum. In 1917, rotating screens were added to produce a 3+1 occultation pattern, and the fuel source was changed to acetylene. In 1960, the lighthouse was automated by replacing the old visitable lantern with a smaller, non-visitable one. Its lighting system was automated using a solar valve, adopting a pattern of evenly spaced white flashes. In 1985, acetylene was replaced by an electric lamp powered by a 12-volt photovoltaic system, with solar panels feeding a battery bank.